Sunday, May 4, 2008

Don't Wear Earrings to a NASCAR Race

You might think wearing earrings to a NASCAR race is a fine idea...until you put on your radio headset and they push into the side of your neck for 4 hours. Ouchie.
Last week some great friends from our church gave us tickets to last nights race in Richmond. We immediately scheduled my mom for babysitting, filled the fridge with breastmilk and headed to the race. Here is the view from our awesome seats, right across from the exit of Pit Row in turn 1 and right in front of the pole sitters pit box (Denny Hamlin, in case you were dying to know who was on the pole.)
During the national anthem the Blue Angels did an amazing fly over. This part always takes my breath away and makes me so proud to be an American.

Not everyone gets as excited about racing as I do. This little one was fast asleep before the first 100 laps were complete.
And this lady (click on photo to enlarge image) was so beside herself with excitement she started knitting...she was a pro too, one of those that can knit without ever looking at her needles. Unlike the guy on the left, who smoked 1,050 cigarettes during the race. At one point he was half on my seat cushion and ashing on my leg too, but it was worth it.This is us walking out of the track listening to the final laps on the radio. We are smiling so big because we weren't getting pelted with beer cans the fans were throwing after Dale Jr. got wrecked, just as he was about to win the race. And because we were going home to our nice cozy bed.

9 comments:

  1. AnonymousMay 04, 2008

    NASCAR 101... I had no idea about the radeo headsets at NASCAR races. I learned something new. Fun post!! ~Jill :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea about the head sets either...so did you threaten the ash guy with your b-pump? =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You learn something new everyday! Count me as #3 who didn't know about the headsets. Although it helps me understand how being at the race could be fun. I never understood how so many people could sit and watch the cars go round and round for so long.

    It makes way more sense knowing that you can hear the race commentary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! Thanks for dropping by the other day! I had to come over a visit...and you have already made me feel so welcome...talking about racin'. I went to Darlington (SP?) a few years back. Wow! What an experience! I think everyone needs to go racin' once, just to embellish life!

    By the way, I am jealous if you live in Richmond!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No need to be jealous Pink Dreaming, we live in Northern Virginia...2 hours to Richmond.

    I'm glad you girls are all so willing to read about racing and you haven't run away shaking your heads and hiding your eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tracey--I just loved the title of this post! Ha. Too funny. And helpful advice. :-)

    Looks like you had a great time!! -Julia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Tracey!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog! I loved yor title of this entry too! Never been a NASCAR fan, but have a few friends that LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT! Looks like you had a great time!!

    Stop by again anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  8. girl, you are so cute and so is your man! love that you like to go to the races, i'll pass but I would love to watch one with you on tv--as long as you don't mind someone laughing really loud at stupid things.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for stopping by my blog...I'm glad we can "meet" and be BFFs.

    My husband was at this race--I'll be sure to ask if he saw you. Ha! He goes to every Richmond race, with our brother-in-law. (My husband's sister & her family live in Mechanicsville.) We are a big Nascar family, i.e. REDNECKS!

    ReplyDelete

Make Room For...a comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...