Wednesday, August 25, 2010
This is another project that, due to my lack of sewing skills, should have NEVER worked.
A few years ago I "reupholstered" a footstool I found at Home Goods. I never warmed up to that scary clown monkey fabric and finally decided to give it a new look. Click here if you want to see the creepy monkey fabric.
So, here we go with the slipcover. I cut and pinned a piece of fabric to fit the top. So far, so good.
Next, I cut a bunch of strips to make the pleats. My friend Pink (I can call her a friend, right? After all, I met and sewed with her once) gave a great tutorial on making knife pleats. She said measure twice around and add about a foot. Well, you should really do that. I only added about 6 inches and I came up short and had to add another section. Grrrr.
I sewed the strips together and hemmed the edges. I eyeballed it because I am too lazy to pin.
Then I had a piece of coconut cake and caught up on a sweet mom from our church that is fighting pancreatic cancer. Please pray for Leigh.
There is no getting around pinning and ironing on this part. Again, I eyeballed it because I am lazy and I enjoy "good enough" sewing. A real seamstress would probably measure each pleat for precision.
Chloe woke up from her nap at this point, so I got a little help.
I pinned the pleats (right side, to right side) on the footstool.
Next, I attached the pleats. I was amazed all this fabric fit through my sewing machine. I was also shocked I didn't break a needle with all those pins. I removed the ones I could see as I went but I ran right over a few.
And here she is, my little beauty.
...and the rest of the room.
I am linking this to YOU:Create and Works for Me Wednesday, go check 'em out. And don't forget to go to Pink and Polka Dot's Slipcover party! She taught me everything I ever needed to know about making slipcovers.